A new device being developed as the first personalized glaucoma treatment to stop vision loss
What is glaucoma?
What are the symptoms of glaucoma?
Most people do not know they have glaucoma right away. It usually takes time for symptoms to develop.4 As the disease progresses, people with glaucoma may slowly start to lose their side vision (also called peripheral vision).3
Glaucoma in its advanced stages can lead to complete vision loss.3
Pain, nausea, redness of the eye, and blurred vision are symptoms of an acute glaucoma and should be treated immediately by a physician.3
What causes glaucoma?
What is intraocular pressure? Why is it important?
Glaucoma usually occurs when pressure builds up inside the eye. This pressure is called intraocular pressure, or IOP. The level of IOP in the eye depends on how much fluid is coming into the eye and how much fluid leaves the eye. This fluid is called aqueous humor.4
Aqueous humor is formed in the ciliary body of the eye, and drains through two pathways- through the trabecular pathway or through the uveoscleral pathway. If too much aqueous humor comes in, or if not enough flows out through one or both pathways, IOP can increase to levels that damage the optic nerve.4
Normal IOP usually ranges between 12-22 mg Hg. Not all patients with high IOP have glaucoma, and not all patients with glaucoma have high IOP.5
- McMonnies CW. Glaucoma history and risk factors. J Optom. 2017;10:71-8.
- Tham YC, Li X, Wong TY, et al. Global prevalence of glaucoma and projections of glaucoma burden through 2040. Ophthalmology. 2014;121(11):2081-90.
- Facts about glaucoma. National Institutes of Health (NIH) National Eye Institute. 2015. https://nei.nih.gov/health/glaucoma/glaucoma_facts. Published September, 2015. Accessed 6 May 2019.
- Weinreb RN, Aung T, Medeiros FA. The pathophysiology and treatment of glaucoma. JAMA. 2014;311(18):1901-11.
- Tsai JC. High eye pressure and glaucoma. Glaucoma Research Foundation (GRF). https://www.glaucoma.org/gleams/high-eye-pressure-and-glaucoma.php. Published October 29, 2017. Accessed 6 May 2019.
Alievio Vision Announces Completion of $5.7M Financing for Novel Glaucoma Device for Treatment of Refractory Glaucoma
Research Triangle Park, NC -- Alievio Vision has closed on $5.7M in equity funding in its Series A round led by VCapital, InFocus Capital Partners and Triangle Venture Alliance. The funding round also includes returning Series Seed investors Triangle Angel Partners,...